Why is it that when we have a physical hurt we are more likely to seek help but often suffer in silence when we hurt mentally? Whether it is for you or someone you care about, the first step towards recovery is not to be afraid to ask for help.

In most cases, the first step to getting professional help is to visit your primary health doctor. Family doctors are trained to listen to your concerns and will refer you on to a psychiatrist for further assessment and diagnosis. An assessment by a psychiatrist is important to help us establish the nature of your symptoms and determine how best to help you to get better.

Many people we support receive their care and treatment in the community, in their homes or in therapy sessions, but ongoing care and treatment may also be offered and our residential center. A small number of people may need a stay in hospital to support their recovery and some people may require long-term care and support. The assessment will help determine the right type of care and treatment that will help the patient to recover.


Getting help in an emergency or a crisis 

If your mental or emotional state quickly gets worse, or you’re in crisis or despair - or you’re worried someone you know is - help is available. It's important to get help quickly. Talk to someone you trust. Sharing a problem is often the first step to feeling better.


Child and adolescent mental health services (CAMHS)

We provide child and adolescent mental health services (CAMHS) in the community. HMC’s specialist teams  are focused on helping children and young people with emotional, behavioral and mental health difficulties.

Urgent and inpatient care

For people with more urgent needs and have come into contact with our services, they will receive their assessment and diagnosis through different care pathways. In some cases, they may need to stay in hospital to receive more acute care.

Older People

We work with the geriatric support team to help people over 65 years who have organic mental illness – such as dementias; or functional mental health problems which need specialist expertise, such as depression or anxiety disorders.